Friday, November 20, 2020

The end is just a new beginning

It had been long time I didn’t post anything new to my blog, oh yeah it is since I joined The Hewlett-Packard Company (HP) in April, 2013. That’s more than 7.5 years ago, time flies. As I retrenched by DXC Technology end of last month due to re-org and join the unemployment statistics, I think it is good time to review what I did in the past 7.5 years and think about where am I heading next.

In 2013, as I’m handful of developers in Malaysia posses skill in Grails Framework, HP hired me to lead the development of a project known as EPIC Configurator, a configuration and management console of an integrated invoice processing system. The development team composed of architect, developers and UI designer from Malaysia and United States. We are using the following technology stack for source code management, development and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD):


In the EPIC Configurator team, I play the role of tech lead captures functional requirements and technical requirements from business owner and architect, assigns tasks to team members and support them to deliver the works. Developers in the team works as full-stack developer, they develop the features from front-end UIs to back-end APIs and database.
There are two oversea trips for this project:
  • In January 2014, three of us from Malaysia EPIC team headed to HP office located in Texas, US for one week project meetings.
  • In November 2014, an US colleague and I headed to Bangalore, India to conduct 2-weeks knowledge transfer sessions to India team.

In 2015, the management announced HP will be split to two independent public listed companies known as HP Enterprise (HPE) and HP, Inc (HPQ). I become a HPE employee after the split.

Before HP split, I join the China team remotely to develop a project known Divestiture and Acquisition (DnA). It is a dashboard portal to support the management teams to manage the HP split and Micro Focus acquisition. We are using the following technology stack for source code management, development and deployment:

In the DnA team, I play the role of senior Java developer, mostly work on back-end APIs using Jersey, SpringFramework and MongoDB.

At the year end of 2016, HP Enterprise management spun off Enterprise Services business and merged it with Computer Sciences Corporation (CSC) founded the DXC Technology in April 2017. I become a DXC employee after the merger.

The born of DXC Technology is the start of Agile Process Automation (APA) project, a microservices architecture for integrated process discovery, process analytic and robotic process automation such as Blueprism, UiPath and python script. We are using the following technology stack for source code management, development and continuous integration and deployment (CI/CD):

As you can see from the diagram above, APA is big undertaking, it is a huge project adopted many emerging technologies. The engineering team has around 40 members from US, China, Europe and Malaysia composed of UI/UX designers, business analysts, architects, tech leads, developers, testers, scrum masters, project managers, infrastructure engineer, DevOps engineer, etc.  

In the APA team, I play the role of tech lead on leading the team to develop the Analytic Console of APA which empowered the user to do data mapping, define their own tabular data and dashboard without the involvement of developers. I also work on back-end APIs and OData APIs using Jersey, Spring Boot and MongoDB which deployed to Amazon Web Services and Microsoft Azure as Docker container.

I also worked with Europe team remotely on prototyping an intelligent voice agent of conversation AI domain using the following technology stacks:

From the writings above, you can see that I'm mostly focus on back-end technologies in the recent years. Going forward, I intend to close the loop by picking up a front-end technology, I chose Flutter. You should see me write more about Flutter in the blog.

Lastly, I'm kind of interested in online marketing skills especially those relevant to subscription business.

Stay safe, stay home and stay healthy! :)

Like this blog?

Thanks for visiting! If you like what you see, I'd really appreciate you linking to it or otherwise sharing it with people you think would find it useful.

No comments: